Monday 27 February 2012
Can we use Peer Pressure to eliminate Obesity? Diabetes? High Cholesterol? For a minute, let us understand what is Facebook?
What all can be done? Think of Health Maps, community building, support groups and Health games- where you can throw challenges, earn points and redeem them. Pulswatch- a start-up that has created a GPS powered wearable smart sensor that allows users to set fitness goals, track their workouts and challenge one another to one of four interactive running games which spur continued exercise. For example, the platform’s running game, Chase, pits runners against their friends to match each others’ run times, or chase them down if they get too far ahead. In addition to bragging rights, the winner of the race claims a trophy and PulsWatch points which can be used to purchase additional applications from the PulsWatch store.
If you have more ideas, please write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday 13 February 2012
In the past we have read a lot of research projects that determine the outcomes based overview of Diabetes management and the use of remote monitoring tools. We have spoken to Doctors, technologists as well as equipment manufacturers and all of these available tools represent a breakthrough for clinician/patient communication to enhance disease management and improve health outcomes.
However, for India we were yet to find out the drivers, challenges, consumer behaviour, expected adoption level and value add to the end users. Here is a recent study undertaken by HealthCursor Consulting Group India to understand the DM market better.
1. If you are given a Glucometer (blood sugar check machine) for free, will you check your blood sugar daily ?
2. Your mobile phone will automatically send this data to your Doctor. Your Doctor will then SMS, EMAIL or call you if your sugar is not in control. How much you will you easily pay for this service? (Note: the doctor will not disturb you in case of normal readings.)
1) Rs 1000-2000/month
2) Rs 500-900/month
3) Rs 100-400/month
3. Will you feel more comfortable if you do not have to do your blood sugar monitoring yourself but a nurse sitting in a nearby chemist store/pharmacy does it for you? In this case you will have to step out of your house but will this give you more confidence?
1) Yes, I will feel better if a nurse does that and I don't mind driving to the chemist store.
2) No, I would like to do it at home myself
4. Are you using a Glucometer already? Would you mind buying a new Glucometer if that connects with your phone and transfers your data automatically to the doctor?
1) Yes, I have a Glucometer and Yes, I will buy a new one if it is the same price as my old one but has advance features like what is mentioned above.
2) Yes, I have a Glucometer and No, I don't want a new Glucometer.
3) No, I don't have a Glucometer but Yes, I will buy a new one if it is the same price as the one available in the market but has advance features like what is mentioned above
4) No, I don't have a Glucometer but I will only buy known conventional brands Glucometer and will not trust any advance ones.
5. What all a Diabetic should invest in?
2) Glucometer, Doctor Consultation
3) Glucometer, Doctor Consultation, Daily Glucose monitoring and advice
4) Glucometer, Doctor Consultation,Daily Glucose monitoring and advice, Diagnostic checkups
5) Glucometer, Doctor Consultation, Daily Glucose monitoring and advice, Diagnostic checkups, Diet plan, Exercise plan, Lifestyle and wellness plan
SAMPLE: Volunteers from the following companies participated in this survey.